Non surgical hair restoration can help you regain your hair without having to go through the pain of hair transplant. Hair transplant, pills and lotions do not usually work for everyone thus necessitating the need for non surgical hair restoration.
Who is a perfect candidate for non surgical hair restoration?
Non surgical hair restoration is a method that suits most people, regardless of whether you are at an advanced or mild stage of hair loss. It gives you an opportunity to regain a head full of hair at a pocket friendly price and without having to go under the knife or bear the risks associated with surgery.
Well, who is the right candidate for non surgical hair restoration?
- It is beneficial to those with extensive baldness with no hair at the back or at the sides to act as donor areas.
- It is also a suitable option for those who have tried topical hair loss treatments without success.
- It is of benefit to men and women seeking an instant solution to hair loss treatment in situations where hair transplant is not possible or it is contraindicated.
- It is good for patients with alopecia areata. This is an autoimmune condition in which immune cells attack hair follicles leading to hair loss. It usually results in unpredictable hair loss.
- Non surgical hair restoration can be a source of hope for cancer patient who have lost hair in the course of chemotherapy.
What are the options available for non surgical hair restoration?
Here are new methods of hair restoration and what to expect
- Platelet rich plasma
Platelet and plasma are both components of blood. Platelets contain special proteins called growth factors that aid in healing. Plasma is the liquid part of blood.
To perform this procedure, your doctor will draw some blood from your body. Thereafter, the blood will be centrifuged to separate the blood cells from the liquid component of blood. Platelets will then be taken and added back to the plasma as other cells are removed. The resultant product is called platelet rich plasma.
The platelet rich plasma is injected in the scalp to help with hair regrowth. This is a relatively new procedure that has been proved to work with some people reporting satisfactory results in the various studies that have been conducted so far. PRP can be used during hair transplants to kick start hair growth or to help other treatments.
There are no side effects of platelet rich plasma as a method of non surgical hair restoration. However some people report that the injections are painful despite the use of numbing medications.
- Low Level Laser Therapy
How exactly low level laser therapy works to halt hair loss is not known. It may encourage the growth of more hair follicles, increase reproduction of fast cells and improve how cells work.
You can do laser treatment in your doctor’s office or at home using a laser comb, headband or a small helmet that fits under a baseball cap.
You may wonder what the side effects of laser treatment are. The laser used for hair restoration is low level and does not get hot, hurt or burn body tissue.
After you start using laser treatment, you should expect hair fullness in about six months. It is important to note that this method is not suitable for those who are completely bald.